Sunday, January 9, 2011

Kisses of Death

Let me preface this by saying I've been less than successful with my new diet.

The other day at lunchtime, I left work to buy something quick for lunch at CVS. I walked in with the intention of buying a lean cuisine pizza, and left the store with a lean cuisine and a bag of cordial cherry hershey kisses.

Huge mistake.

I ate my lunch, then started in on the bag of kisses. Fully aware that this situation could quickly become out of control, I started giving a few away here and there. I still continued to eat enough to make me nauseous, I'd say almost half the bag. At one point, I looked into my trash and saw just a million crumpled up hershey wrappers. For fear that one of my cube members might come by and see, I threw some large pieces of paper into the trash and rearranged everything so that the wrappers weren't as visible. Come 5:00, I had gotten away with eating 20 hershey kisses without anyone noticing and it was time to go home.

Day 2.

Around 11:00am, I remembered the rest of the hershey kisses were in my drawer and abandoned my diet once again. By 3:00, I had eaten about 12 hershey kisses (maybe more), again feeling nauseous. A co-worker who knew I had hershey kisses came by to ask for some more. Relieved, I told him to take a lot. "There's only 2 in here" he said. "What?? Wow that's nuts, they've been going fast."

It was then that he decided to eat it while standing at my cube. He went to throw out the wrapper in my trash, and then froze - his eyes glued to the inside of the trash bag.

There have been very few times in my life when the level of humiliation I felt was actually equal to the level of humiliation another person felt for me. This was one of them. So I laughed too loud and muttered a few words awkwardly about eating a lot that day. He sensed my embarrassment, laughed, and left me alone in my own puddle of shame.

So, yes, this was one of the more embarrassing things that's happened to me in later years. But instead of dwelling on it, I'll walk away having learned a very valuable lesson.

Wrappers belong in my purse.

3 comments:

  1. Lani...I just love you so much...your humor, your vulnerability. And, we are seeing ourselves in you!!! We've all been there...you, honey, just happen to have the courage to "say it all"
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaaaahh....and after I sent this...I just "got" the significance of your title!!! LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha I am right there with you!!! I think it fades over time, but I've been afraid of the shower curtain stranger and basement homeless man for many years!!! your blog is the best. I just discovered it and I'm hooked!

    - liz

    ReplyDelete