Friday, January 14, 2011

Scaredy Cat

Recently I began wondering for how much longer I will remain afraid of an empty house.

When I was younger and someone would ring my home door bell, I used to wonder why mum would freak out and shriek "DON'T ANSWER IT! DO YOU KNOW WHO IT IS? ASK WHO IT IS FIRST!" Since I've always been humiliated by the idea of yelling back and forth through a door, I would ignore her and answer.

But now I get it. I have been very lucky to never have had my apartment door bell rung. And if I ever do, that person will be out of luck; I don't even dare peak, that's how certain I am that the bell ringer is coming to do horrible things to me.

Like I've said before, I'm 27. That's pretty adult. Yet, when I go to the basement and try to find my way into the dark laundry room, I am absolutely convinced someone is in there waiting for me. When I'm finally in there, I am absolutely convinced someone followed me in. And while I'm fighting off those fears, God forbid I hear a creak upstairs. Because obviously that means someone snuck into my house and is waiting for me to crawl back up those stairs so they can murder me. What's the solution? Doing laundry when the boyfriend is home. What happens when the boyfriend is away for a month straight? Lots of perfume and the underwear with holes in them. They're not old, just cheap. I have Daisy Fuentes' Kohls collection to thank for that.

I also try really hard not to have to pee when I'm alone in my apartment. I have never once went into the bathroom feeling confident that there was no one behind the shower curtain. On the extra scary days, I check. On the lazier days, I pray. I feel like I might need a plan for the days that I check. If I ever pull that curtain back to find someone staring back at me, that will be a very unfortunate situation for me as I have no plan.

Anyone who looks out through a dark window at night for more than half a second is a courageous, fearless hero as far as I'm concerned.

Right now there is a weird cop that's been sitting on his bike outside of my apartment for more than 3 hours. I'm convinced he'll be breaking in here tonight. Or tomorrow night, since I was just informed I'll be spending the night here alone.

Which brings me to another awful situation: sleeping in a house or apartment by myself. I just can't think of anything worse. There is no sound, creek, stillness, or movement of air that I can ignore. I do have a move though: whether I'm doing the dishes, peeing, brushing my teeth, getting dressed, or laying in bed - if i hear anything out of the ordinary, I freeze. I freeze as is or I hit the deck. And I stay frozen for several minutes - maybe even ten- until I am absolutely 100% positive that it's probably nothing. And I hope that will always be the case, because the statue move will never save my life.

So I'm really praying for several things here: no visitors, no hidden bathtub guests, and a roommate who never, ever, ever leaves me alone in the house overnight.

Normal?

3 comments:

  1. welp, I was at work really late the other night, which was going fine until I had to go to the bathroom. Then, I remembered a ghost story my co-worker had told me earlier that day, and I became afraid to use the toilet, wash my hands in a sink that had a mirror above it (in case dead spirits use that as a portal), or walk down the brightly lit hallway leading to the bathroom. Not a grown up, just a chicken shit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Stories Lani !

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahha omg. still so scared also. when im home alone, if i dont have someone come in and check out the house when they drop me off, i go in and run to the alarm and put my alarm on and then have like some ocd issue where i have to keep rechecking to make sure i didnt leave the keys in the front door...

    also- last year when i lived in my ghost house i prayed every night without missing a night,,, for god to "please not let me hear, feel, or see a ghost while im sleeping tonight" ahahhaha

    ReplyDelete