Thursday, March 24, 2011

Letter to a 4th grader

Dear Little Lani,








Take a deep breath, and just relax. Things won't always be the way they are now...

You won't always hate your curly hair, and you won't always hate those hips that don't let you fit into the same size jeans as other girls. Boys won't always think of you as just a friend, and you won't always have to - or want to - wear Dad's XL t-shirts to school everyday. Someday, you will get taller and a little thinner, you'll learn to do your hair and put on makeup, and you'll teach yourself how to hold eye contact with the person you're talking to. Some boys will even start to think you're pretty.

Life is not as unfair as you think, you just have to be a little more patient than the girls around you. And when mum says that the popular girls will not always be the popular girls, you should believe her instead of rolling your eyes. And when dad says that lots of those cute boys (the ones you ache to kiss, but never will) will turn out to be losers, you should believe him too.

Blond girls don't get everything in life. Neither do the skinny ones. You'll find a man who loves that you're neither. And you won't always be taller than all the girls ...and boys. In fact, there will be some days when you'll even feel small.

You know that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you lie awake at night thinking about the boys you like, and how they'll never like you back? That feeling will go away someday. You don't have to lay in bed and beg God to make your crush like you, or to make you lose all your extra weight by the morning. He won't, and you'll wake up still being heavy. But it will be okay.

Because someday, a few years down the road, an amazing man will move into the house behind you. He will be smart, and strong, athletic, funny, and handsome. He will turn your world upside down - pushing your buttons, driving you crazy, making you laugh, helping you grow. He will do things for you that no boys ever did, or wanted to do, before. He will take care of you, and love you, like you never thought anyone would. You won't be able to imagine ever loving anyone else, because he'll be more than you ever dreamed of. And someday, he'll get down on his knee, and ask you to spend the rest of your life with him.

And when he's down on his knee, you'll think back to the little Lani, and all of the hours she spent praying, hiding, wishing, blaming, crying. And all of it will make sense. After the best two years of your life, when you're heart still jumps when you hear him come in the front door, you'll understand. Everything falls into place, and you are happy.

21 comments:

  1. Lani, this is so beautiful and touching. Never stop writing, and so happy for you and your fiancée.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laniii, this made me cry, I loved this and love you and am so happy for you xoxo ang

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE this Lani! I am so happy for you and JR! love you! Aileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhh.... how beautiful, I had to hold back my tears. I'm so happy my little Lani is helping other "little lani's." I, too, always knew it would turn out like this.. but Daddy and I never had quite the right words, and could not seem to get through, no matter how hard we tried. I wish I had had this exact message, first hand, from someone like you, as a young mom, to give to you back then, my sweetie pie. But I do think everything happens for a reason and your unique life experiences have helped to make you into the beautiful person you are today... and I love that you are sharing all of this so others may benefit. .....So really... aren't you glad now that you inherited my curly hair? haha. So happy for you and for JR!!! Love, Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, and I love you. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't stop crying - you got me in the second paragraph as I pitured MY little Lani (who said aunt's can't claim you!!!???) looking at me and not knowing that I saw in her eyes her fear of fitting in. What you didn't realize is that you DID fit in. You fit perfectly into our lives and we loved every adorable minute we spent with you - little lani - big lani - no difference in the hearts that have been living around you. xoxoxo p

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying to write this as I wipe away my tears. This HAS to go world wide, for every girl/woman to see. That little girl is inside each one of us. Lani...you are so talented honey...and I am so very proud of you...who you were, who you are...and who you are becoming. Can we make this into a video? It will go viral. :) I love you, Auntie San. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Lani! Such an awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. BEAUTIFUL Lani...make sure he reads this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully said....All mom's should have their daughters read this. Young girls go thru so much growing up...they need to know that they are not alone in their thoughts and that everything does get better....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Lani, you are such an incredible story-teller. I need to re-read this and remember the words you said. It brought a smile and tears.

    Thank you,

    Carli

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lani :)

    I absolutely love this more than words! This is so beautifully written and is so honest and true!! Reading this made me think back to when i used to do and think all those things!! This one blog could help so many little girls!! I am so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, Lani!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well of course I decided to do some "casual reading" today at work in front of my boss while she was distracted and ended up with this....and then getting caught in tears! Huge embarrassment, but totally worth it.
    Lani this is so beautiful, so true, and SO relatable!
    It's kind of funny (painful?) how we see ourselves versus how the rest of the world sees us, but if anything awesome is to come from this whole getting older thing, it's gaining perspective like this. You've perfectly captured feelings I've had about myself and I'm sure that other girls have also had, and managed to express it so eloquently. You're such a beautiful woman- inside, outside, upside-down - and it tickles me to pieces that you've come into your own.

    Congratulations again, I'm so happy for you and the boy!

    Shelley

    ps...OMG THAT RING IS GORGEOUS! Now I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you probably don't remember me Lani , but I remember you! YOu are so beautiful what an honor to have known you. God bless and congratulations!
    Clint

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lani I'm so proud of you. You write so beautifully and you are so talented in expressing yourself.I just love reading and laughing at all the touching things you have to say..love, Nana

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lani,

    This is your future mother-in-law. How beautiful this "Letter to Little Lani" is!!! You are a very talented young woman and one we are very happy to have in our lives as well as J.R.'s! I'm so happy you came to know one another and the union blossomed into a lifetime together! You were beautiful as "Little Lani" and you are beautiful as Lani, a Woman! We love you.

    Mom T.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I never expected this post to get so much attention! Thank you so much for all of the amazing comments!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Lani
    I always saw you as a beautiful sweet little girl and now I see a beautiful accomplished woman. Lani, I am so happy for you!!!
    ....and your writing is wonderful. I love it!
    Best Wishes to you & JR!
    Love, Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lani-
    I just talked to yur mom and she told me about this letter-I knew that fourth grader and always thought you were so beautiful, as I scanned your room at school, you were the one who stood out, your beauty inside and out-just like today, just like now. I am so thrilled to have known you then and to continue to see you get every ounce of happiness you deserve!
    You are an amazing person, but then you always were!!!!
    Love,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear little Lani, dear big Lani!
    Wow! I am in tears reading your beautiful precious writing!

    How true your words of wisdom are!

    So very proud to have been part of your life a year after 4th grade. You were an amazing little Lani then and what an amazing big Lani you are now.

    How lucky is your family to have you and how lucky is the young man in your life!

    Best wishes always, sweetheart!

    Have a very Happy Easter with all those you love!

    Love you,

    Mes V.

    ReplyDelete