There are many things I wish I was better at: Breakdancing, funnelling maybe, and remembering the words to songs. But what I really need to master is how to give a good, nasty mean look when I want to send a message to strangers that I don't like them.
Like when guys (...or girls) sit down on the T and don't give their seat up for the elderly or pregnant women. Or when I say "excuse me" to someone standing or sitting on theT and they don't budge so I have to squeeeeze by. The proper and most obvious reaction would be to say, again, "EXCUSE ME, can I please get by you?", when in fact it wouldn't be to give a single-syllabul laugh to yourself outloud and then keep your head down as you pass by.
Or when someone is talking loud in the library. Or eating something too loud. Or chewing gum with their mouth open. Again, easy fix. "Hey, do you mind keeping it down?" I am always so jealous when I hear people speak up and say something like that, how empowering!! Instead, I glare at them. ...and then as soon as they see me I turn my head away quicker than they can even decide whether or not I was actually looking at them.
Or someone kicking the back of my chair at the movies. The best response would be for me to turn around and either a) glare at them, or b) say something along the lines of, "can you stop kicking the chair? thanks." Although that might result in things being thrown in my hair, a childhood fear of mine I'm sure you're all aware of. However, one of the weaker responses, and the response I seem to be the most fond of, is a quick half-turn of my head in the direction of where that person is sitting but not enough to actually be able to look directly at them, a pause, and then I rotate my head back in the direction of the movie screen. Not effective.
It seems lately I am becoming more and more bitter, angrier and angrier over small things that random people do. I know I'm getting closer to the point where I might actually say something. I just need to have a few sayings that are ready to roll off my tongue, as I know I won't be good under pressure. I'm also sure that when I finally do decide to speak up, I will speak up to the wrong person and get either my face or my pride handed to me in front of a very large audience.
Suggestions/Recommendations are welcome.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
totally know what you mean! I find it's best to say something as soon as it pops into your head in these types of situations. Otherwise - like you said - you become a seething bitch about it. So glad you're back to posting Lani!
ReplyDeletei'd love to see you get your face handed to you in public. i don't even know what it means but it seems like it would be interesting.
ReplyDeleteOne time I spoke up when I was caught in the crossfire of an onion ring food fight at the dining hall - I am still trying to live down my not so witty response of "what ahre you stupit!". And yes for some reason I spoke in a Cranston trailor trash accent. I definitely agree that you should have some witty remarks ready.
ReplyDeleteWait, I'm as concerned as adam is about this face thing. Let's start with the question of: Who has your face?
ReplyDeleteI would start with Jon Travolta, then go to Nicholas Cage. If they dont have your face I would try Hannibal Lector. He might have it. I donno. It's a weird situation. Even if you found your face and they handed it to you, do you thank them? "Thank you for my face". How would you speak though with no lips though? It would be like "hank you or eye ace". Then you are in a pickle because they might think you are some sort of alien imposter just pretending to be lani, and they will take your face right back.
I'm interested in this saga.
just farted and almost pooped.
- maria castagnozzi
omg. this is maria castagnozzi. and i did not write that!! i was just reading that thing being like who would write this?? and scroll down to find out it was me.. ahah i hate whoever this is!
ReplyDeletethere is not one extra letter in the entry above. meaning that cannot be maria castagnozzi either.
ReplyDeleteomggggg whooo is doing this to meee!!
-maria castagnozzi