Okay this is the worst thing ever. Who the heck was I kidding thinking I needed a smartphone? Not only was it a painful experience going to the store with BOTH my parents to pick out our new phones (yeah I'm still on a family plan NBD) but I was ill-prepared for this adventure.
Up until last night, the only concern I had about a purchase like this was that I would become one of those annoying self-absorbed young professionals wiith my face constantly buried in my big fancy phone.
Clearly I don't have to worry about that since I can't figure out how to use this god damn thing. Does everyone have a rough adjustment or am I special? Like really, what is MMS v. SSM v. BBM? Are those even the right abbreviations? I can't find out because if I click out of this browser right now I know I'll never be able to find my way back.
Last night , ugh my fingers and wrist are already completely exhausted I need a break. Brbm.
When I went to buy the phone last ngiht, I thought it would be a good idea to play with the blackberries while the sales guy was helping another customer. As soon as I picked it up, all I could do was stare at it because I couldn't make anything happen. How was I supposed to know that the tiny little square in the middle was a touchscreen mouse? I just kept hitting it and waiting. Then I looked around and became aware of just how technologically incompetent I looked. I mean really, I might as well have just brought Nana with me to help figure it out, I was that clueless.
To make matters worse, I was with my parents, who had even less of a clue. Between the one thousand questions they asked, the same ones over and over, about the plans, insurance, phones, costs, etc. it was almost unbearable. Then in a loud voice, my dad turned to me and asked, "now Lani, instead of a blackberry, have you thought about one of those smartphones?" I was so embarrassed. Not because my dad didn't know that a blackberry is a smartphone, but because I myself didn't know if a blackberry was a smartphone. So I literally brought my voice down to a whisper and said, "I...I think these are smartphones, Dad." I guessed right.
A big reason I bought this dumb phone is so I could start blogging during my commute instead of letting it cut into other parts of my life. But I had to finish typing this on my computer because I just couldn't get it to work. So, I guess my point is... I feel old. And stupid. And instead of judging fellow smartphoners for being obsessed with their phones I now have a new found respect for each one of you.
It'll be shortlived though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
sad
ReplyDeletehaha you will get used to it Lani! give it a few days! i need your pin so we can BBM :)
ReplyDelete