Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Food Part 2:

2. Food some people are self conscious about

Like, bananas. It actually has taken me years to get to a point where I can eat a banana the normal way in public. All throughout high school and college, I'd have to peel it back, rip a piece off, and pop it in my mouth. When you eat a banana this way, not only do you get mush on your fingers, but everyone around you knows you're trying to avoid treating that fruit as something phallic. The more I looked around though, the more I realized people ate bananas by just biting. Guys, girls, big, small, ugly, pretty, etc., and I wanted this freedom for myself. The freedom to eat a banana any way I want, and to shed my 6th grade fears of biting something shaped like a penis, saying "do it" in front of the wrong group of cool kids, or dropping an unused tampon in front of others. I now bite, and I bite with purpose.

Or, tacos. I seriously don't remember the last time I ordered a taco. How do people eat these in public? The only times I've ever really dared to eat them has been in the privacy of my own home, and even then I'm frustrated and embarrassed. Not only do you have to cock your head at an insanely ridiculous angle, but at least 87% of what I was going for gets stuck to my cheek, on my boobs, on my shirt, and in my lap, and I'm left with oily orange meat grease dripping down a side of my mouth. Boys really are going to stop reading this, huh. Yet some people have absolutely no qualms with tacos, and eat them like I now eat a banana- worry and mess-free. I've learned that I like burritos though, eaten with a fork and knife.

1 comment:

  1. Can you write about spaghetti? I always have a tough time with that.

    ReplyDelete