Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Training Season Part 2

During another fall, I decided to join the swim team. My mum was so excited for me she went out and bought me a swim cap. The team wore sleek little black caps, but I was in for a surprise when I opened that package, wasn't I mum! She picked out a cream-colored cap, that dipped down below my ears with flowers and a STRAP. So that's how I made my debut appearance at swim practice the first day. Then came my first swim meet. I've never swam like that in my life, and apparently my body knew it, because it wouldn't allow me to pull myself out of the pool. I just kept tumbling back in. My entire body was limp and shaking as I was literally stuck in the pool as the race was still continuing. Finally, I managed to swing a leg over the side and roll my body out of the water. After that nightmare, I actually started to do pretty well, ...but there were still times I'd misjudge my distance from the wall and flip too late for the turn, hitting my butt into the wall rather than my feet. Or I'd flip too early, go to push off the wall and miss completely, legs pushing into open water and body not going anywhere. I never did master the pull-cap-over-goggles move that prevented goggles from flying off my head when I dove in. And of course there was the time I, once again, fake vomited to get out of a meet. You'd be surprised what fake-vomiting can do for you. So, there I was at the last swim meet of the season, I'd made it! I was up on that board waiting for my turn, trying to adjust my cap and goggles when, CCCHHHRRRR, my cap split right down the middle into two flaps. But it was too late for me to do anything, my teammate slapped the wall and I dove in. Goggles were now sideways on my face, my cap flapping on both sides of my head like droopy dog ears or retarded fish, and I'm choking on water. Naturally, I missed the wall on my turn, swallowed more water, and finished my lap in terrible time. Needless to say, I spent the next fall season just running. Running is enough.

1 comment: