Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Text me

Whether I'm single, dating, or in a relationship, my text-exchange game always seems to be the same.

Boys- if you receive a text from someone you are not interested in, and you do not reply, that is probably a smart move. We'll get the hint (...some faster than others). But if you receive a text from someone you like, are friends with, are dating, etc., returning the text is not only helpful for them, it's the polite thing to do, and thats what you probably do. Right?

That, anyway, is what I've always believed. If they like me, they'll text me. If they don't like me, they won't really text me. ...So why have I found myself texting a boy two times in a row? And, on the other hand, why doesn't my own boyfriend text me as much as I text him? I have this absolutely insane routine that I go through with nearly every person I've liked, dated, wanted to date, hooked up with, etc., and I know I'm not alone. Sometimes when I get the text, I'll consider not writing back. "He'll keep checking and there won't be anything from me and that will make him want a text from me even more." There's a rational thought. But then I give in because I'm too excited.

Maybe they just don't understand what it feels like to be expecting a text from someone you like. There is nothing worse than checking, relentlessly, for hours on end waiting for it to arrive. Without my knowing it, I start to say things outloud to myself every time I check with no result. "Of course not" I'll mumble, or "good, keep not texting me." Sometimes you choose a time a half hour or an hour away and promise yourself you won't check again until that time. If I do make it, which is rare, and there is still no text waiting for me, I find myself skipping words now and instead making a noise of disgust outloud. I'm just not sure if that disgust is towards him for not replying, or me for being so insane.

Or how about shutting your phone off so that you literally cannot check it. Terrible move, because when you power it back on and there is no text message, a small part of you will shrivel up and die. Know what that small part is? Your pride, girls. And the only thing worse than no text is receiving a text from someone else. Because whoever it is, I always hate them for not being the right person. Poor mum, all she wants to know is "what you want for suppy?", or it's Dad telling me "i can pick you up from t." Save it, Pops!

I KNOW HE GOT THAT TEXT, I tell myself. I SENT IT 5 HOURS AGO. WHO DOESN'T CHECK HIS PHONE FOR 5 HOURS? It's right about here that I, without fail, decide I am done with this person, because I am clearly more interested than they are and I don't need a situation like that.

Then a few hours later I might receive a text: I smile, I laugh at myself for acting like a crazy lady, I determine whether or not responding is my best move (it always is), and then I start the cycle over.

...Do boys go through this?

9 comments:

  1. ahahhahahaha im dieingg!! so ture everypart. the other day I got a text back after they didnt answer forever so I was like I'm waiting this one out to respond... then clearly I gave in and wrote a wicked nice text back and I was so proud I waited. I wanted to see how long I waited cause it felt like a half hour (still no 5 hours but seemed like forever to me),, turns out I waited a WHOLE 5 MINS!! like really??? 5 fucking minutes???? like yah im sureee I made him shake in his boots!!!!!!!

    taking the battery out.. been there done that...
    there have so many times during the waiting period where I would wish I could do anything to be ble to delete that text that I sent. clearly they dont deserve it if they arnt going to answer.

    and my last thought is that everytime I get so angry when they dont answer I say thats my last time ever texting him first.. and of course an hour later there I am texting again and the cycle REPEATS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. or what about when you turn your phone off, turn it back on after a while and nothing comes through. then i convince myself that he must have sent something and it just didn't go through because my phone was off - so i send a "hey my phones been off" or "hey my phones been acting weird" text just to let him know that i have been busy and just realized the phone is off or maybe blame the phone for sending him a text that was "supposed" to go to someone else haha wow that sounds so crazy when i type it out...i better post this anonymously :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. bahahahhaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa HILAR

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't speak for all guys, but I can speak for myself and yes, I go through the same things. :/

    Other scenarios that suck are when a girl (or anyone for that matter) texts me and I text back and then get no response and also when I text a girl and all I get back are one word responses ("Mhmm", "Ok", "Yeah", "lol", "haha", "K", "No", "Nah").

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes i've realized a single word "lol" response means (a) it was not funny and there is no laughing out loud going on and (b) the other person is indifferent in continuing the conversation

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the best post by far! I constantly think I am psycho for checking my phone a million times....Never give in though....wait for the text and always make them wait a little bit for your text back! I try to give the game right back to them if they take forever! When did all of us become so obsessed with texts and trying to read the underlying feelings that are conveyed through them?? I am sure they will classify it as some syndrome soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. there is also always the issue of the "phantom vibrate" - i think my phone is vibrating w/ a message so i naturally get excited and then when i look there is nothing! i think once i actually thought i heard my text msg sound go off too - hallucinations have set in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Josh Stevens gave me your blog to check out. I love it! You are so witty :) We've alllll been there with the texting... it sucks. I hate those games, lol.

    We should get together for a blogger coffee or lunch! let me know- my email is jlganson@gmail.com

    :) Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup. This blog is funny, you're really talented. -Giorgio

    ReplyDelete